I never slept in on Saturday Mornings, I went to Ukrainian School instead. I was indoctrinated in the ways of opressed Slavs from the Glorious land of blue skies and yellow wheat fields. I learned to disdain Russians. I was tought important skills, how to sew, embroider and cook Borscht. Natural selection eliminates the weak.. and well, my Friends.. I have never met a Ukrainian with an Allergy.

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Ukraine is not yet dead

That is the title of Ukraine's National Anthem. (Directly translated it is - Still has not died Ukraine)
I'm not kidding.

In 1863 it was composed by Mikhail Verbytsky, a western Ukrainian composer and Catholic priest. Verbytsky originally wrote the score as to accompany a patriotic poem written in 1862 by Pavlo Chubynsky, a prominent ethnographic in the Kiev region.
(There will be a pronunciation test on the names following this post.)
In 1917 it became the anthem of the short-lived Ukrainian National Republic, but during the Soviet era it was replaced with the not so popular tune "Ukraine is still crushed beneath Russia's giant hairy thumb".

Following independence in 1991, many Ukrainians were dissatisfied with the pessimistic tone, so the Ukrainian government made the Verbytsky score official but hesitated to approve the Chubynsky's lyrics. A comission sponsored contests for replacement lyrics, but none were decided on.
So here it is! A direct translation of our glorious anthem:(grammatically modified by yours truely)

Ukraine is not yet dead
Neither her glory or her freedom
Our young brothers laugh at fate

Our enemies will dissapear
like dew in the sun,
we brothers will rule in our own land

our souls and bodies
we will lay down for our freedom

And we'll show them
that we are brothers,
brothers of the Kozak nation

Yee-haw! Who says Ukrainians are pessemists?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home