I never slept in on Saturday Mornings, I went to Ukrainian School instead. I was indoctrinated in the ways of opressed Slavs from the Glorious land of blue skies and yellow wheat fields. I learned to disdain Russians. I was tought important skills, how to sew, embroider and cook Borscht. Natural selection eliminates the weak.. and well, my Friends.. I have never met a Ukrainian with an Allergy.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Domestic Arts

Now, this may come as a shock to many of you, but I wasn't always the organized and efficient person I am now. Actually, I used to be, "Messy Dessy" (Oh god.. it still hurts a little)
Anyways, surprise surprise, I was TERRIBLE at Ukrainian Artsy things. My Ukrainian Pysanku, (easter eggs) mostly resembled large blobs of mismatched colors with large cracks down the middle. When we made easter bread, the braids I made looked like, well, giant lumps of dough, and in Ukrainian dancing I was pretty much off in my own special world.
But the WORST was embroidery. I was so, bad at embroidery that I would actually try to hide in the coat room after recess to try to avoid doing it. (who misses recess.. I sure do!)

Now, granted, I was REALLY bad at it. (I couldn't even thred the needle) But I also was not encouraged in any way to get better. In fact, the Parent volunteer would laugh in my face if I asked if I could take some embroidery home to practice on.

Well, We would do these little cross stitch patterns and give them to our moms for mothers day. The teacher would design a more difficult pattern for the kids who were really good at it, A medium hard pattern for the rest of the kids, and a very easy pattern for the unfortunite kids who could barely tie their own shoe laces.

And then she would make a "special" pattern for me.

It was torture, poking the stupid needle through those tiny holes and making little X's and Crosses while the other kids made beautiful flowers and pretty designs. But, well, I guess my heart just wasn't into it, or maybe I didn't love my mom as much as the other kids, because for Mother's day she got an unfinished piece of white fabric with 4 little red cross stitches that the Teacher had actually done FOR me, out of pity.


1 Comments:

Blogger SANTASOURSMr. Timothy Edward Sours, Sr., said...

{@<_@}"QUE SERA SERA, WHATEVER WILL BE WILL BE, THE FUTURES NOT OURS TOO SEE; QUE SERA SERA!"

3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home