Workin' it Uker-ainian style
This summer i had the "pleasure" of working for the Ukrainian Canadian Congress - I job i got, not for my amazing office/secretary skills, but for my family connections. Oh, sweet sweet Ukrainian community.. how you keep coming through for me.
My boss basicly told me that she hired me because my aunt worked for immigration and helped her and her family come to Canada - oh.. and she knew and sort of liked my mom.
But I digress! I forgot to tell you about the amazing times i had working for KYK - or UCC-APC if your not Ukrainian Acronym litereate - that means Ukrainian Canadian Congress Alberta Provincial Congress.
Sounds fancy!
well.. its not. I pretty much called people to ask them to advertise in the UCC booklet for Ukrainian Days. I called.. and called.. and called... When I spoke in Ukrainian people yelled at me and told me to speak in English.. when I spoke in English they would either hang up the phone or yell at me for not speaking in God's chosen languege.
I also went through every file cabinet and threw out any files with documents dating before January 1984.... Ahhh the joy of it all.
While I worked I spent a lot of time learning about a group of ukrainians whose job it is to complain whenever newspapers mention the holocost and forget to mention the famine in Ukraine.
There is also.. believe it or not! A huge fight going on between the Jewish Canadian Congress and the Ukrainian one about who's holocost was worse
As my boss would say... "WHAT'S THE HECK!"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home