I never slept in on Saturday Mornings, I went to Ukrainian School instead. I was indoctrinated in the ways of opressed Slavs from the Glorious land of blue skies and yellow wheat fields. I learned to disdain Russians. I was tought important skills, how to sew, embroider and cook Borscht. Natural selection eliminates the weak.. and well, my Friends.. I have never met a Ukrainian with an Allergy.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

A quick Ukrainian Rant

esterday I had an argument with someone about the origins of my name. They said:
"Odesa.. thats a wierd name. Are you named after the Russian city?"
and I said:
"No, actually I'm named after the Ukrainian city. Odesa is in Ukraine."
to which they wittily retorted:
"Nu - uh"

and I said"Yah huh "

And he said:
"well.. it doesn't really matter does it - Russia and Ukraine are exactly the same"

Now, I understand that not everyone around me has been indoctrinated about Ukraine like me, so I count to ten and take a deep breath and he says:

"So, you know, you spell your name wrong, hey? Odesa has 2 s's"

Well... thank GOD someone pointed that out. I've been foolishly misspelling my own name.

So.. I held back the fist of death and said:
"Actually, the city in UKRAINE is spelt with one S. This is because the Ukraine Languege does not use double S's. Also, 2 s's is an Americanized and Russified way of spelling the city."

And he says -
"wow.. so your ukrainian arn't you.

ughhhhh!

2 Comments:

Blogger neal said...

I dunno...

if americans are doing it, it must be right...

I think I'll spell your name the 'proper' way from now on...

4:40 AM

 
Blogger odesa said...

Your right Neal. Odessa Texas and Odessa Sask. have the right idea.. Who am I to challenge such power houses?

8:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home